Friday, January 18, 2013

Seeking My Creator... 2013


My (growing) list of possible words for this year:
Fearless, Calm, Beautiful, Rejoice, Rock, Focus, Light, Journey, Grow, Forward, Within, Obey, Relate, Surrender

I’m close to picking journey, but I’m not sure what that means for me. I’ll tell the story of journey later J 
So I ask the questions “Who do I want to become this year?” and “What does God want from me this year?”

I believe He wants me to:
  • Learn more about His story (the Bible)
  • Feel confident in talking about him and sharing his love with others (including non-believers)
  • Spend time alone with Him daily
  •  Memorize scripture so I’m always prepared to face temptations/doubt
  • Teach my children about Him and how to love Him
  • Support and rely on friends and grow relationships I’ve already established

Journey
So the story goes like this: I’m on the beach shooting “sample” my one words and I used obvious ones at first. Then I wrote balance because it popped into my head. I knew this wasn’t going to be my word, but about 1 minute later a woman and her daughter walked along the beach and she stops and asked me “are these your one words?” And then she told me her word this past year was balance. I was literally taking pictures of her 2012 word as she walked by and I didn’t have any connection to the word myself. How cool is that?! So I shot one or two more words to use in my Etsy listing and was walking toward the access point to leave. I had a very strong urge to write one more word… Journey. I didn’t know where it came from and had not thought at all about the word. While I was feeling like I was ready to leave, I instead walked to the shoreline again to write the word. I felt compelled; the only explanation is that God wanted me to stay on that beach a little longer. I was trying to notice what was going on around me to see if there was an opportunity for something that I'd miss otherwise… a conversation with another stranger, a random smile, someone drowning in the ocean? I couldn’t figure it out, but I wrote journey, took some pictures, felt relief and left. Since then every time someone asks me about my one word, the first one that pops into my head is “Journey”… I just can’t exactly figure out what it has to do with this year. I’ve had a lot if “journeys” the past few years… being pregnant for the first time, having Clara, then being pregnant again and having Daphne, and boy was her first year a rough journey! Before that I was trying to get pregnant and before that it was moving to Wilmington. But there are no incredible journeys planned for me this year, at least not BY me. Since God is my creator and in control of my life, I’m wondering if I’m about to face a journey of some sort this year, whether a difficult one or a wonderful one, I’m not sure. What do you all think? Is my one word journey?? These are the scripture passages I’ve been memorizing lately, trying to narrow down to one for the year.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old is gone, the new has come.
 2 Corinthians 5:17

“I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles, but take heart, for I have overcome the world!”  
John 16:33

He alone is my rock and my salvation. He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Psalms 62:2

Based on the verses I've been sitting on, it seems journey might be right fit, but I'm nervous to pick it because it seems my faith will be tested. I trust you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment